Monday, March 12, 2012

Honey Bourbon Chicken

Yet another success if I do say so myself. For this meal I decided to step out of my comfort zone a little bit and use a crock pot. Not that I think using a crock pot is difficult...it just takes so LONG! You actually have to plan ahead what you want to eat, and I tend to not be the best planner in the world...or the most patient person for that matter. Both of which I am striving to be better at each day, however. But today, I had a little extra time before I headed off to school, so I decided to make this recipe that I found on foodgawker.com. (If you haven't heard of this website and you really enjoy cooking, don't go to it. It will take up every extra minute of your life.:) Anyway I turned it on at 11, came home at 3, cooked up some calrose rice in my cute little rice cooker and wha-la! Best lunch I have had in a long time. The only recommendation I have; use less soy sauce and more honey. I'm not big about my food tasting really salty. Plus, the less sodium the better, right? 
Whelp... Enjoy! If you are anything like me and hate using crock pots, I would try and get over it. Some of my favorite meals I have ever made have been in my crock pot:) I am slowly learning...

Happy Monday! Today is a great day :)



Our HUGE crock pot.


INGREDIENTS:
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, about 5
Salt and pepper
1 cup of honey
1/2 cup of low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
Cornstarch
Sesame seeds

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Place the chicken thighs in the crockpot insert and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, ketchup, oil, garlic, onion, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine well. Pour over the chicken in the crockpot.
  3. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours.
  4. When done, remove chicken from stock pot and cut into chunks. Prior to putting the chicken back in the stockpot, combine some cornstarch in water and whisk it into the crockpot to thicken up the sauce a bit. Throw the chicken back in and stir around to recoat the chicken in the sauce.
  5. Serve hot over a bed of white rice (optional) and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment