Monday, March 26, 2012

Soba Noodles with Sweet Ginger Scallion Sauce

A.K.A one of the best things that has ever happened to me. (Seeing as I don't have a boyfriend/husband/any sort of significant other, I decided the next best thing is food! It might even trump a boyfriend..who knows? ;).
Confession: I have NO idea what soba noodles are. I tried to find them at my local grocery store and came home empty-handed. (Actually that's a lie, I came home with a whole load of groceries...ha). So I just used chow mein noodles which I cant imagine taste much different. BUT if you are one of those people who just HAVE to stick to the recipe 100%, have fun driving around town finding soba noodles. Let me know what they are when you find them k? :)
This recipe is so fast and easy, and tastes like it came from a restaurant. I hope you enjoy it just as much as I did!!
Once again, another foodgawker.com success!

What the sauce looks like....the more veggies the better!


Frying the noodles with the sauce

Add some sesame seeds for a garnish and wha-la! gobble it up fools! :)



Ingredients-
  • Soba noodles
  • Salt and Pepper as per taste.
  • Sesame seeds – 2 Tbsp lightly toasted.
  • Cucumber thinly julienned (optional)
  • Lime wedges (optional)

Sauce-
  • Scallions – 1 ½ cup finely chopped.
  • Ginger – 2 Tbsp minced.
  • Cilantro – ¼ cup chopped.
  • Sesame oil/ grape seed oil/ any neutral oil – 2-3 Tbsp. 
  • Chili oil – 2 tsp. (I didn’t have this, it’s fine to leave out)
  • Soy sauce – 1Tbsp.
  • Rice wine vinegar – 2 Tbsp.
  • Honey – 2 Tbsp.
  • Salt – 1 tsp, soy sauce is already salty, so be careful with this!
  • Black pepper – 1 tsp.

Method-
1.       Mix all the ingredients for Sweet Ginger Scallion sauce in the bowl, check for the seasoning. Keep it aside for 10 -15 minutes for the flavors to develop.
2.       Boil the soba noodles as per the instruction on the package, If you need them cold drain well with the cold water once they are cooked or just drain the water in which they boiled if you like them hot.
3.       Add the sauce, sesame seeds and fry the noodles for a couple minutes in a wok, check for the seasoning one last time. Sprinkle lime juice if you like and also if you like add some julienne cucumber, give a final toss and Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment